[b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton

Edward Andrews edandrews at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 22 21:00:09 EDT 2006

David P Donnelly:

What I am saying is Drusius introduced the idea that Galatinus invented the
pronunciation of Jehovah in 1520. Further Drusius was not known for good
scholarship. Moreover, he had apparently forgotten his own discovery of
Porchetus' work (1303) and the use of Jehovah long before Galatinus, when
shortly before his death he published the view that the pronunciation
Jehovah was invented by Galatinus in 1520.

Cappel was convinced that the Masoretic text could not be trusted, this
being the basis for his attack on the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton as
Jehovah. It was not long until all the scholars fell in with Cappel's
reasoning. Thus, Cappel simply spread what Drusius started.

Further, Bottcher stated in 1866 that the pronunciation of Jehovah was
unknown until 1520, when introduced by Galatinus. The rest of the list I
posted simply repeated and gave impetus to this misinformation.