[b-hebrew] Isaiah 30:13-14; conjunction

Kerry VonDross vondross at execpc.com
Tue Aug 22 08:06:53 EDT 2006

Dear B-Hebrew Members,

I do not know the Hebrew language.  Therefore, I utilize a Parallel Hebrew-English Bible and an Expository Dictionary for a comprehension of Bible passages. The Interlinear Bible that I use is a translation of the Masoretic text by Jay Green, Sr., published in 1976.  I am attempting to understand Isaiah 30:13-14.  A literal translation in English is provided:

"13 So this iniquity shall be to you as a broken section falling, like the bulging out in a high wall, the breaking of which comes suddenly in an instant.
14 And its smashing is as the smashing of a potter's vessel; when broken in pieces, he has no pity; for in its breaking there is not found a sherd to carry fire from the hearth, nor to skim water from a well."

This interlinear translation also provides the original Masoretic text and list a word-for-word English translation above each Hebrew word.  I am writing it left-to-right, not as it is found in Hebrew written right-to-left.  It reads:

"13 therefore / shall be / to you / iniquity / this / as a breach / falling / bulging out / in a wall / made high, / which / suddenly, /  in an instant, / comes /  its smashing. /
14 And its smashing / (is) as smashing / the / vessel of / a potter's / (when) broken, / not / he has pity / and not /
there is found / in its breaking / a shard / to take up / fire / from the hearth, / or to skim / water / from a pool."

Since the original text does not have a period, punctuation mark or space that separates verse 13 from verse 14, is this something that has been supplied by "modern" translators?  In other words, could the break and separation of these verses be at a different location?  Could it be translated to read as follows:

"13 therefore / shall be / to you / iniquity / this / as a breach / falling / bulging out / in a wall / made high, / which / suddenly, /  in an instant, / comes.
14 Its smashing / and its smashing / (is) as smashing / the / vessel of / a potter's / (when) broken, / not / he has pity / and not /
there is found / in its breaking / a shard / to take up / fire / from the hearth, / or to skim / water / from a pool."

This is what I am attempting to understand.  How is the conjunction of verse 13 and verse 14 determined?

Kerry VonDross