[b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

Kevin Graham kevlds at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 22:14:08 EDT 2006

== I think the meaning of "if ... and" in Hebrew is most literally
translated
as "if <you do xxxx> *also* <we will do yyy>". It is tit-for-tat, not as
strong a cause-effect relationship as if-then.

Now that IS interesting. Can anyone else corroborate this hypothesis? Royal
Skousen has been arguing that in Hebrew the same exists in a cause-effect
relationship. It would prove detrimental to his argument if this is not the
case, and the if-and phenomena were all "tit for tats" as Steve suggests it
might be.