[b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

Kevin Graham kevlds at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 12:35:38 EDT 2006

Peter,

== It might also be worth researching whether there were any highly literal
translations of the Old Testament in circulation which used this
construction, which Joseph Smith might have known and copied.

I had been thinking the same thing. I looked up several translations
available to Smith like Wycliffe, Geneva, et cetera, but so far no examples
of the if-and clausal.

== From  http://www.bible-researcher.com/versbib8.html, I might suggest
considering:
>*1764*. Anthony Purver, /A new and literal translation of all the books of
>the Old and New Testament; with notes critical and explanatory./ 2 Vols.
>London: W. Richardson and S. Clark, 1764. Often called "The Quaker Bible,"
>because Purver was a Quaker.
Could Smith have had a copy of this? Did this use the "if...and"
construction? Some leads for possible research.

Good idea! Thanks.