[b-hebrew] Right to Left Processing

Jan-Wim Wesselius jwwesselius at mail.thuk.nl
Mon Aug 7 18:17:20 EDT 2006

I see that Chris Kimball already reacted, but I have some things to
add, so I send my own mail about this fascinating subject also:

It is a bit technical, but not very difficult to activate L=>R text
entry and editing for Open Office or Word 2003 under Windows 2000
Professional (latest Service Pack) or Windows XP. You have to activate
the right keyboard and language module under the internationalization
module of the configuration screen (sorry, I do not have the right
terms in my mind, I am working on a Dutch-language system at the
moment). The help function should get you on your way, though you will
probably have to experiment with some functions. Then you get a small
menu in the taskbar which allows you to switch from EN to HE (and to
SY, JP, AR etc. etc.). Within Word 2003 or Open Office you can define
the main direction of each paragraph (this is important, because there
is a difference between English text embedded in a Hebrew paragraph
and Hebrew text embedded in English). Hope this helps, Jan-Wim
Wesselius

PS The SBL font has cantillation marks, and a good manua with all the positions

Jan-Wim Wesselius
Senior Lecturer in Semitic Studies
Theological University of Kampen
POB 5021, 8260 GA Kampen