[b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Apr 30 22:46:32 EDT 2006

Karl Randolph wrote:

>In order for you to convince me that MW(D means
>"season" as in summer, fall, etc., you need to cite
>a verse where it can have no other meaning. This
>you have failed to do. All you have presented are
>idiosyncratic readings of very few verses.

HH: This is an illegitimate criterion because it may be possible to
stick in an alternative interpretation. The question becomes what the
best interpretation is. Demanding that there can only be one possible
interpretation is an invalid approach because in many difficult passages
there can more than one possible meaning for a word.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard