[b-hebrew] Ps 25:11 imperative & waw

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Apr 29 13:57:29 EDT 2006

Steve Miller wrote:

>Thanks Herman! Thanks for clarifying. I believe that. How would youtranslate Isa 53:2 & Ps 25:11 as literally as possible, but still makesense?-Steve

HH: You could use "then" for wav in Ps. 25:11, looking back at the
divine characteristics mentioned in the immediately previous verses.
You could use "so" in Isa 53:2. Of course in th latter verse it matters
how you divide the verse. The current tendency is to reject the
Masoretic athnach, but the sentence can work with the Masoretic pointing:

And he grew up as a sprout before him and as a root from dry ground.
There was no form to him or majesty so we should look at him, and there
was no appearance so we should desire him.

Or:

And he grew up as a sprout before him and as a root from dry ground.
There was no form to him or majesty. When we looked at him, also there
was no appearance so we should desire him.

HH: I would probably choose "so that" over "so." Wav can express result.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard