[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Apr 15 05:50:26 EDT 2006

On 14/04/2006 14:56, Karl Randolph wrote:
> Doug:
>
> There is nothing in the text itself that indicates
> that "day" when used with a number means anything
> else than the equivalent of a modern 24 hour day or
> the lighted portion thereof. The use of "day" in a
> non-numerical context can have other meanings, just
> as in English, but not in a numerical context. (If
> I say, "I plan to travel there in five days" I
> don't mean five years from now, or five ages, but
> within a week. The same in Biblical Hebrew.)

Yes, but if I write "In Shakespeare's day theatres were tightly
regulated", there is "nothing in the text itself that indicates that
"day" ... means anything else than the equivalent of a modern 24 hour
day or the lighted portion thereof", nevertheless it is clear to all
that I mean a period longer than 24 hours. And so in Hebrew in many
occurrences of YOM which cannot refer to literal 24 hour days.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/