[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Oct 27 08:12:50 EDT 2005

Everything existed in potential in Ein Sof.  Nothing existed in
particular until Ein Sof began emanating it, in stages, this physical
world being the last stage.

Yes, they know that "yom" is not a day as we think of a day

Shoshanna

Shoshanna,

Are you saying that G-d's holiness-light did not exist before He said
"vayehi or"?

The Oral Torah, as passed down by Haza"l (tell me if you have another
source) reflects an allegorical understanding of the Creation story - they
knew quite well that "yom" here cannot mean a 24-hour day.

Yigal