[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Wed Oct 26 10:57:42 EDT 2005

Dear Peter, Yigal, et al,

True, but understanding the word "day" in a non-literal sense also does
not work - and is arguably already "adding elements that are not in the
text" and "midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the
text". There is no easy answer.

Bryant:

The problem as I see it, (sorry, basketball official jargon, :))) ), YOM  causes
us to want to eisegete our interpretation into the text to correspond with what
our view of regarding the universe and creation-evolution. The word used with
numbers to indicate a 24-hr period = evening and morning is quite clear. BUT we
are not at liberty to translate via application. The straight dope is to render
it as day. In other word, at this point is confusing application with
interpretation = eisegesis. Beyond that is flat out wrong. The context is quite
clear about that.
En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III
> >This might be getting out of bounds for this list, but that was my point
> >exactly. Understanding the word "day" in the Creation story in any literal
> >sense does not work. Once you have to invent "clouds that hid the sun",
> >you're already adding elements that are not in the text. This is good
> >midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the text.
> >

> True, but understanding the word "day" in a non-literal sense also does
> not work - and is arguably already "adding elements that are not in the
> text" and "midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the
> text". There is no easy answer.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

> For your security this Message has been checked for Viruses as a courtesy of
Com-Pair Services!