[b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Wed Oct 26 10:18:02 EDT 2005

On 26/10/2005 13:47, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>This might be getting out of bounds for this list, but that was my point
>exactly. Understanding the word "day" in the Creation story in any literal
>sense does not work. Once you have to invent "clouds that hid the sun",
>you're already adding elements that are not in the text. This is good
>midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the text.

True, but understanding the word "day" in a non-literal sense also does
not work - and is arguably already "adding elements that are not in the
text" and "midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the
text". There is no easy answer.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/