Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Oct 25 18:11:56 EDT 2005

On 25/10/2005 22:29, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>>in its transliterations. Did you not see the chart that Dr.
>>>Hoffman provided for us? I found it interesting.
>>>
>>> [ http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/Excerpts/ITB-p95.pdf ]
>>>

>>Joel Hoffman's interesting chart of a rather small number of names was
>>inadequate to show any clear patterns of relationship between the LXX
>>and MT forms of these names. Considerably more names would be needed to
>>show that there are patterns rather than chaos and randomness. The
>>

>On the contrary.  It shows:
>
>1.  Place-of-articulation correlation between the LXX and MT consonants.
>
>2.  Voicing correlation between consonants.
>
>3.  Lack of stop/fricative/aspirant correlation.
>
>4.  Lack of vowel correlation.
>
>In other words, except for the vowels and Beged Kefet, the LXX and MT
>match pretty well.

I should have made it more clear at this point that Karl and I were
discussing only the Masoretic vowel pointing, not the consonants. Thus
your "Lack of vowel correlation" corresponds well with my "inadequate to
show any clear patterns of relationship". I am not convinced that your
data demonstrates "Lack of stop/fricative/aspirant correlation", for one
exception does not imply zero correlation, but that is a separate matter.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/