[b-hebrew] Fw: Human Sacrifice - Semantic Domain

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 22 16:59:01 EDT 2005

Dear Jack,

I like your metaphor. But I think that the core meaning of XRM is actually
"set aside" (for the deity), which is also its meaning in Arabic. In this
way, its core meaning is very similar to QD$. This is what Joshua did to the
booty of Jericho. An expantion of XRM is to sacrifice for the deity,
including killing the enemy (men, women and children) in a holy war, such as
was done by Joshua or by Saul to the Amalekites. And thus, a city destroyed
in a holy war is also XRM.

Yigal