[b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5-8

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Mon Oct 3 09:37:05 EDT 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:42:26 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny at mail.ru>
writes:
> 1) alah min has an attested sense of migration or, at any rate, of
> meaningful ascent. That turn is inapplicable to mist.

++++++++++

Says who?  You?  No authority.  Rubbish.  Go learn Hebrew.

++++++++++

> 2) "formed from the dust of the ground" would be min-aphar haadama.
> The text, however, is, aphar min-haadama.

++++++++++

It isn't "formed from dust from the ground" but "formed dust from the
ground"

Go learn Hebrew.

+++++++++

> 3) "breathed life into his nostrils" is implausible, because nph b
> has an attested sense of "to blow into someone's face, reject."
> Ezekiel 37:9, the only exception, is recursively modeled upon
> Gen2:7.
+++++++++

It isn't "breathed life into his nostrils" but "breathed the breath of
life into his nostrils"

Go learn Hebrew.

++++++++++

> 4) "became a living soul" ignores the preposition le, "became for a
> living soul."

And how would you read 1 Kg 2.2?

Go learn Hebrew.

> And an exegetical question, Would any of you profess the religion
> where God formed people and animals from earth?
>
> Vadim Cherny

Not only would I, I do.  And, go learn Hebrew.