[b-hebrew] The mystery of vav-consecutive

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 24 10:19:59 EDT 2005

> Sorry, my mistake. I thought that Driver was writing in the 1930s.

I would guess you are thinking of a different "Driver", G. R. Driver wrote
_Problems of the Hebrew Verbal System_ in 1936.

> Did Driver use the word "aspect" as early as 1874?

No, the earliest use of the word "aspect" I know of for Hebrew was Kennedy's
1879 translation of Ewald: "But the simplest distinction of time in an
action is, that the speaker first of all merely separates between the two
grand and opposite aspects under which every conceivable action may be
regarded" (1). Where Kennedy has "aspects" Ewald (1870) had "unterscheide."

It was Rodiger who imported Ewald's terms "imperfect" and "perfect" into his
revision of Gesenius' grammar.

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot