[b-hebrew] Test your browser for biblical Hebrew fonts.

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed May 18 16:13:48 EDT 2005

Under Linux, Fedora Core 3:

With KDE's Konqueror browser, everything was fine except the SBL Hebrew which
displaced the initial nun to the left side of the word and followed it with a
hexadecimal entry.

With Gnome's Epiphany 1.4.4 Mozilla-based browser, everything looks fine.

With Mozilla 1.7.3 none of them look especially good; all but the SBL Hebrew
font place vowels, dageshes and accents in separate slots, while the SBL font
has several things out of position.

Netscape 7.2 is same as Mozilla.

With Firefox 1.0 preview release, they all look great!

Yes, I have all 3 Mozilla/Netscape-based browsers installed and I have all of
the fonts installed.  I experiment with this machine a lot.......

Hope this info is helpful.

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 13:19, Christopher V. Kimball wrote:
> Please browse to:
>
> http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/Lists/FontTest.html
>
> which contains a text displays using the default and SBL Hebrew, Ezra
> SIL, SIL Ezra fonts of your browser.  This page is pure HTML, no XML or
> XSLT transformations are involved.
>
> Note carefully that Ezra SIL and SIL Ezra are different fonts!
>
> I'd ask folks in the extra-Windows world to advise if Ezra SIL provides
> a better result that SBL Hebrew in that environment.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Reality is what refuses to go away when
you stop believing in it.