[b-hebrew] Piel etc.

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri May 13 08:47:00 EDT 2005

On 13/05/2005 08:35, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>>>These correlations might or might not be true, but the reasoning is
>>>

>flawed.
>

>>In this case, lacking evidence to the contrary, we should assume that
>>

>ancient Hebrew follows
>

>>the same universal patterns that have been discovered in all modern
>>languages.  And we do not find templatic morphology dictating
>>semantics.
>>

>How about Russian aspects, for starters?
>Any difference of emphatic prefix вы- (выдавливать, выделывать) from piel?

Russian verb prefixation is indeed an interesting example which is
rather parallel to binyan formation in Hebrew. Many of the prefixes seem
to have several different meanings. For example, вы- can indicate
emphasis or perhaps more precisely achievement, but it can also indicate
motion outwards, as in выйти "go out", and (with the reflexive suffix)
exhaustiveness, as in высыпаться. Each prefixed verb is generally
treated as a separate lexical item, and for good reason, because the
meanings of the prefixed forms are not entirely predictable from the
base verb and the prefix. But if one comes across a prefixed verb in a
text, one can usually understand fairly well from the context what the
meaning is. And I think a similar rule can be applied to Hebrew. On the
other hand, it would be impossible to find "a fairly rigid rule", at
least a simple one, to explain all of the derived meanings.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/