[b-hebrew] Jer 52:12 vs 2 Kings 25:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri May 6 16:20:17 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>>

Yes it is, and shamelessly so.

> Since that whole section of 2 Kings 25 and Jer. 52 are
> parallel almost word for word, they must have been copied from a common
> source.

Even so, you can’t rule out one, namely 2 Kings, from not taking a snippet from another source and inserting it in what is otherwise almost word for word the same in Jeremiah. (They didn’t have copyright in those days     ;-))

> The Jer. text seems to be more "complete" (for example the
> information about Riblah in verse 10, missing from the parallel verse 7),
> which would seem to indicate that 2 Kings 25 is an abbreviation of Jer. 52,
> but in the verse in question, Kings' "Nebuzeardan... 'ebed melek Babel"
> ("servant of the king of Babylon") makes more sense than Jer.'s
> "Nebuzeardan... 'amad lipney melek Babel" ("stood before the king of
> Babylon"). The letter bet in 'ebed seems to have been miscopied by Jer. as a
> mem, and then the word "lipney" added in to make the context work. So it's
> difficult to judge which version of the date is the original.

Riblah was mentioned in verse six of 2 Kings 25.

Even Jeremiah seems to indicate that Nebuzareadan may have been in the encampment before Jerusalem fell. 2 Kings mentions when he arrived at Jerusalem, Jeremiah mentions when he stood before the king to get his marching orders (or rather, his looting orders (army cooks often get a reputation at scrounging))..

> KARL:
>   >It seems that in the context, the entrance into Jerusalem was the tenth.
>
> Why?

Look above at the context—the city fell on the nineth, the serious job of royal looting got underway on the tenth.