[b-hebrew] Jer 52:12 vs 2 Kings 25:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed May 4 12:19:33 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: kgraham0938 at comcast.net

> I put this up on text criticism site @ Yahoo, so I figured I put it
> here as well.
>

> I am assuming this is a variant, anyone got any ideas which reading
> it the correct one?
>
> Jer 52:12 WBAXODE$  HAXAMIY$IY  BE`F&OR
>
> In the fifth month and 10th day...
>
> 2 Kings 25:8 WBAXODE$ HAXAMIY$IY B:WIBY$IY
>
> In the fifth month and 7th day....
>
> --
>

> --
> Kelton Graham
> KGRAHAM0938 at comcast.net

Look at the context.

Nebuzeardan may have arrived at the Nebuchadnezzar’s encampment on the seventh, but the city wasn’t taken until the nineth 2 Kings 25:3, delaying
Nebuzeardan’s entrance to the city until the tenth after mopping up resistance to the invasion. Thus both could be correct. Or we could be dealing with scribal
error on one or the other account. It seems that in the context, the entrance into Jerusalem was the tenth.

Karl W. Randolph.