[b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 1 22:28:03 EDT 2005

> On 25/04/2005 02:08, Heard, Christopher wrote:
>
> > ... Outside of Psalm 21 (LXX, = MT, EVV Psalm 22), there is no
> > biblically (or, as far as I know, nonbiblical) attested use of orussw
> > to mean "to pierce," especially "to pierce" living flesh as opposed to
> > inanimate matter. Neither is there any such attestation for Hebrew
> > karah. ...
>

> > ... Both Greek orussw and Hebrew karah I (normally) take objects that
> > name empty spaces--wells, pits, holes, graves--_not_ the matter from
> > which those spaces were hollowed out. (Even Ezekiel 8:8 is no
> > exception to this ...

Job 6:27 uses krh when Job says to his 3 friends who put the blame on him
for his suffering: "you dig on your friend".
If Psalm 22 is describing Jesus' crucifixion, then "they dig my hands and my
feet" is a good description.  The nails did not just pierce, but are digging
thru His hands and feet.
-Steve Miller
Detroit