[b-hebrew] Aramaic

cmeadows3 at verizon.net cmeadows3 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 12 13:08:37 EST 2005

Greetings,

I was looking to see if the "B Aramaic" still existed but perhaps it does not.  I've been looking at some various Aramaic grammars.  Pretty thin pickings.  I have the works by Alger Johns and Stevenson.  I have not seen Greenspahn or Rosenthal but I hear they are good (esp the latter).  Anyone here familiar with David Marcus' grammar or the volume on "Galilean Aramaic" by Caspar Levias?  Perhaps the Bergstrasser and Brockelmann give a good overview of Aramaic?

I feel pretty confident with Hebrew and I'm mostly concerned with the biblical era (non-Syriac) Aramaic.  It seems that most of the available grammar just concentrate on the small portions of Aramaic in the bible and ignore the DSS, Targums, and other important writings.

Any thoughts?

Thanx.
C Meadows
Marshall Univeristy