[b-hebrew] Yahwism (was: their altar)

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:51:47 EST 2005

Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir at gmail.com> wrote:inter alia
>
> .".... Furthermore, we must
> remember we have no evidence for non Asherah
> worship at this early time...."
>
>   Let us keep in mind that extra-biblical evidence for
> ninth century and earlier is extremely rare, and any
> student of this extremely interesting subject must
> tread here with care.

I definitely agree.

>      The first termple in Jerusalem is hardly discussed
> in this context, perhaps because all the evidence we
> have is textual. However if the  Neo Babylonians
> destroyod ,among much else, a temple in Jerusalem,
> had it indeed been built in the tenth century? If so, do
> we have grounds  to doubt that like most temples in
> the ANE it was dedicated to one god,rather than to
> several, in this case to Yahweh?

I don't know if it was built in the tenth century but it
could have been originally dedicated to a different god
and later rededicated to Yahweh (lots of opportunities
for that with all the recleansings in Jehoash's time and
onwards).  I would appreciate any more references
you have on this issue (10th century beliefs in
Yahweh and other gods).

Yitzhak Sapir