[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jun 24 06:33:55 EDT 2005

On 24/06/2005 05:32, Steve Miller wrote:

>From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>
>

>>Karl, you have an excellent point, although your apparent emendation of
>>)DM "man" to )DMH "soil" is unnecessary. There is an obvious word play
>>between )DMH, the soil to which the speaker is now a slave [ (BD -
>>pointed in MT as (OBED rather than (EBED but still suggesting work as a
>>slave], and )DM, the person who caused that "slavery" perhaps by
>>bringing up the young person on a farm. So the meaning is something like
>>"I am a worker of the land, that is what people have made me", but of
>>course that misses the word play.
>>

>Peter,
>thanks very much for all your posts. In your translation, you have been
>careful to keep the causitive sense, but I think it loses the meaning of
>QNH. There is no possessing or aquiring. It is similar to the KJV.

I take your point. I wondered whether to suggest something like "I was
apprenticed to the ground" which would imply someone acquiring him as an
apprentice. I certainly wasn't ruling out real slavery or serfdom,
although of course most agricultural slaves would have been born as such
rather than actually bought. Remember that this is in the post-exilic
period, when many Israelites would have been more or less agricultural
slaves in their places of exile.

On the other hand, I accept the arguments that QNH does not always imply
purchase. It does seem to be used sometimes of creation. Also the
meaning of one binyan or stem type is not always a reliable guide to the
meaning of another, although of course we have nothing else to go on in
this unique occurrence.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/