[b-hebrew] shewa in imperative

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Thu Jun 23 12:36:10 EDT 2005

The reduction is very strong in Russian,but, I think, it is also evident in
English. Compare "to record" and "recOrd!" The last, as I hear it, is more
like r'coord. I hear the same thing in German. This is only natural.
Imperative is distinguished by syntactical stress on the second vowel, which
is therefore elongated. The first vowel is accordingly shortened.
Accordingly, I expect, catav with imperative syntactical stress to elongate
the second vowel and reduce the first, catav - c'taav - c'tov.

Vadim Cherny