[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jun 22 08:23:38 EDT 2005

On 22/06/2005 12:53, George F Somsel wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:12:12 +0200 "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>
>writes:
>

>>The verb QNH often means "to make" or "to create" (cf. Gen. 14:22).
>>Might it
>>not mean, "I am no prophet, for I was made a man from my youth", or
>>"for
>>[God] created me a man from youth".
>>
>>Yigal
>>

>___________________
>
>What would that mean?  It would seem that KiY is a causal particle.  Is
>see no connection between "I am a farmer" and "for God created me a man
>from my youth."

Coul 'adam be used here in the sense of "common person", as (according
to many) in Psalm 49:3, 62:10? In this case the speaker could be
claiming that he is a common peasant who never had the chance to become
someone special like a prophet.

But this still doesn't explain the hiphil of QNH, otherwise unattested.
I did wonder if this could be a denominative from QNH = cane, so meaning
that "a man had me beaten with canes", leading into verse 6.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/