[b-hebrew] Zechariah 12:1-2

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 13 19:43:21 EDT 2005

On 13/06/2005 23:38, Steve Miller wrote:

>>On 13/06/2005 22:06, Steve Miller wrote:
>>

>>>Zechariah chapters 12-14 are "the burden of the word of Jehovah
>>>

>concerning
>

>>>Israel" (12:1).   Putting 12:1-2 together could it also be rendered  "the
>>>burden of the word of Jehovah concerning Israel ... and also concerning
>>>Judah"?

>>>If  the 2nd עַל־ is translated "concerning" like the 1st, then it is the
>>>burden of the word of Jehovah which is on Judah, rather than the siege.
>>>

>From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>
>

>>The subject of the second part of verse 2 is an interesting question. It
>>is not "they" as KJV, for it is singular. It is not YHWH for he is in
>>the first person. I think it must be the "cup of bewilderment". But it
>>cannot possibly be the burden, as this is far too remote. I think this
>>must be interpreted in the sense that whatever is against Jerusalem is
>>also against Judah, so meaning something like "this cup will also be
>>against Judah, a siege against Jerusalem".
>>

>Thanks Peter. But, the cup of bewilderment is what Jehovah will put on all
>the nations that come against Jerusalem. It is not the portion of Jerusalem
>or of Judah.
>-Steve Miller

Indeed, my mistake as I was rushing this. I think in fact the subject of
the clause must be impersonal, so meaning more like "Also against Judah
will be the state of siege against Jerusalem", in other words not only
Jerusalem but also Judah will suffer. NIV has "Judah will be besieged as
well as Jerusalem", which gets my point.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/