[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory - Qamets & Shewa

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Thu Jun 9 00:30:32 EDT 2005

Thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion.

OK, I got the *defective* holem vav part.  What about the
qamats though.  Liver is spelled with a qamets under the
kaf and glory has a shewa under the kaf.  In each of the
four cases where the defective holem vav occured in *glory*
, the shewa replaced the qamets, which was part of my
confusion on issue.

> From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
> Date: 2005/06/07 Tue AM 07:10:33 EDT
> To: tladatsi at charter.net
> CC: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Liver & Glory
>
> On 07/06/2005 06:41, tladatsi at charter.net wrote:

> >In the case Gen 31:1 the context would strongly suggest
> >that the usual translation KBD as wealth seems
appropriate.
> >The other three are usually translated as glory or honor
> >but the context seems less than clear to me, which is
not
> >to say that liver somehow makes more sense.
> >

> KABOD = "glory" has a holam for the second vowel
(contrast KABED =
> "liver" with tsere) but this holam can be either full
i.e. with a vav or
> "defective" i.e. just the holam dot. In Gen 31:1, 49:6
etc the spelling
> is the "defective" one, but the pointing with holam
clearly indicates
> that at least to the Masoretes this should be understood
as "glory" (or
> "wealth"), not "liver". But Gen 49:6 (in parallel with
NEPE$) may be a
> Masoretic pointing eror, for the Septuagint translated as
"liver", TA
> hHPATA.
>
> As for Exodus 33:18,22, surely "glory" makes more sense
than "liver".
> There are a number of cases in the Hebrew Bible where the
visible (or
> Shekinah - not a biblical word) glory of YHWH appears,
e.g. Ex 40:34, 1
> Kings 8:11 (in each case KABOD with the full spelling),
but I don't know
> of any case of him showing his liver! Of course the
English rendering
> "glory" may be problematic, because in modern English we
don't think of
> "glory" as something visible. But the concept should be
clear from the