[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Jun 7 06:00:59 EDT 2005

Hi Jack,

The basic meaning of KBD is "heavy". As such, it is used as "heavy with
wealth". I assume that the same word is used for "liver", because a liver
is "heavy with blood", although I'm not sure of the etymology.

KaBoD means "honor"/"glory" etc. This meaning is also probably related to
"heavy", but that's not important.

Both words are spelled with a qamats. The shewa indicated the construct -
"glory of..." or "liver of...". The holam can be written either with or
without a Vav (there are rules for that as well, but there are
irregularities).

And by the way, Vav is usually indicated by W, not V.

Yigal