[b-hebrew] Author of the Torah

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Jul 29 19:28:26 EDT 2005

Read James C wrote:

>However, this is by no means a conclusive proof that Moshe did not
>author the rest of the Torah as Hebrew tradition holds.
>The fact that there is so little difference between the Torah of the
>Yehudans and the Samaritan Torah shows that they both held the same
>tradition that they held sacred enough to copy it scrupulously.
>After the death of Solomon the kingdom divided and started a conflict
>which ended in the level of animosity that we read about in the gospels
>between the Yehudans and the Samaritans.
>Does it seem scholarly that two opposing kingdoms who considered each
>other to be worse than the 'gentiles' would have collaborated in a
>conspiracy to fool the two nations into believing that Moshe was the
>original author of the Torah???
>
>I think not!!!
>
>This clearly shows that in the days of Solomon, before the separation
>of the two kingdoms, the Torah as we know it was already well accepted
>and canonised by the Isrealite nation as a whole. Thus there is no doubt
>to what scroll Nehemiah was referring to in his post-exilic writings.
>
>The only question that remains is:
>Why the different use of the term 'torah' in the book of Yehoshua and
>the book of Nehemiah?

etc.  all snipped for the sake of space.

There are so many presuppositions here- so many unfounded ideas and
unhistorical datum that there's no way to answer point by point without
writing a book.  I would only say that almost every line is based on a
priori notions that will not hold water.  If I might be so bold as to
recommend Philip Davies little book- Whose Bible is it Anyway.  It's an
excellent place to start.

Jim

--
D. Jim West