[b-hebrew] Author of the Torah

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 19:19:35 EDT 2005

Christopher wrote:
(a) Joshua 8:31-32 refers to "the book of the law of Moses" and to
Joshua writing out a copy of "the law of Moses, which he had
written." The reference would appear to be to the book Moses is said
to have written according to Deuteronomy 31:9, 24, because Joshua is
carrying out instructions for the recopying of the law given by Moses
(Deuteronomy 27:8) and the quotation given in Josh 8:31 is a slightly
altered version of a phrase from Deuteronomy 27:5 (influenced by
27:6). The text of Joshua gives readers no reason to believe that
"the book of the law of Moses" corresponds to the canonical Torah.
Indeed, the (narrative) fact that Joshua writes the law on stones
suggests a relatively short text, especially since he first builds an
altar, then copies "the book of the law of Moses" *while the
Israelites stand there and wait*, then reads *every word* of the law
to the people. I don't think he could accomplish all that on one
occasion if "the book of the law of Moses" were the canonical Torah
(or even the canonical book of Deuteronomy).
end quote.

This is the most valid point I have seen so far and was worthy of
investigation and objective consideration. It is also worthy of note
that the 'torah' which is being copied is strictly related to the
'blessing and the malediction' which we find in Deuteronomy 11:26. It
is therefore clear that what Joshua copied could well have been
restricted to the direct discourse which starts at Deuteronomy 5:1
and not to the entire Torah as we know it today. And that furthermore
it may well have been this 'law', which was originally carried in the
contract chest (the ark of the covenant).

However, this is by no means a conclusive proof that Moshe did not
author the rest of the Torah as Hebrew tradition holds.
The fact that there is so little difference between the Torah of the
Yehudans and the Samaritan Torah shows that they both held the same
tradition that they held sacred enough to copy it scrupulously.
After the death of Solomon the kingdom divided and started a conflict
which ended in the level of animosity that we read about in the gospels
between the Yehudans and the Samaritans.
Does it seem scholarly that two opposing kingdoms who considered each
other to be worse than the 'gentiles' would have collaborated in a
conspiracy to fool the two nations into believing that Moshe was the
original author of the Torah???

I think not!!!

This clearly shows that in the days of Solomon, before the separation
of the two kingdoms, the Torah as we know it was already well accepted
and canonised by the Isrealite nation as a whole. Thus there is no doubt
to what scroll Nehemiah was referring to in his post-exilic writings.

The only question that remains is:
Why the different use of the term 'torah' in the book of Yehoshua and
the book of Nehemiah?

Well, as we all know, languages evolve and change and 1,000 years is
plenty of time to have this connotation linguistically added to the
term.

Why would this term change its connotations?

Because, while in Yehoshua's time this word referred only to the rule book
carried in the Ark, it became more commonly accepted to use the term in
reference to his greater work, the entire Torah.

Why the difference in usage of person?

Because the rule-book which was carried in the Ark was a word for word copy
of each and every word he said on that occasion. This could have been the
style that was normally used when composing a legally binding document or it
could have just been Moshe's preferred style of the day was to write in this
way. Maybe he wanted the reader to have the impression that Moshe, their
prophet, was talking directly to them.
The rest of the Torah is largely written in prose style and it is normal for
Moshe to write about himself in the 3rd person (compare the entire gospel of
John, especially the closing verses).

Why was Yehoshua referring to the entire Torah when he said that Moshe spoke
of him?

He was referring to prophecies regarding Abram's seed which would bless all
mankind. These prophecies are to be found in Genesis *NOT* in Deuteronomy.