[b-hebrew] Machine translation of the Bible, was: heno- v's poly- theismin the torah

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Fri Jul 29 15:12:27 EDT 2005

James,

How does the fact that biblical Hebrew has a very limited corpus and
can no longer (if it ever could have been) be observed in daily use
affect the project? Your "childlike" AI will not be able to observe
real speakers of biblical Hebrew as it could, for example, observe
real use of modern Japanese or French. It seems to me that even if
your AI engine is solid and all your language acquisition models are
spot-on, these pragmatic limitations will hamper the program's
learning ability. How have you addressed these issues?

Thanks,

Chris