[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 29 06:17:15 EDT 2005

On 29/07/2005 08:01, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>I still got no reply. Guess no one here could explain why do you discuss vocalization of the Tetragrammaton, though it is clearly and widely attested by ancients as Iao. Doesn't seem to me like a standard of honest scholarship: you simply disregard hard evidence when it doesn't fit your preconceptions. Iao cannot be a verb, so forget Iao. That kind of reasoning?

The form IAW is just one of many different attested Greek forms of the
Name. It deserves no more specific attention than the others. But it
clearly corresponds to the first part of the names starting Jeho-, since
sheva was often represented by alpha and Greek has no "h".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/