[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Stephen Segall segall at umich.edu
Thu Jul 28 12:03:45 EDT 2005

The Cherokees did not have an alphabet or writing until one was invented
in the 19th century. All information was transmitted orally from
generation to generation including the pronunciation of the name of their
god.

The earliest written pronunciation comes from a diary written in English
by John Adair, a trader who lived with the Cherokee, learned their
language and described their religion and way of life in his diary. This
was in the 18th century before the American revolutionary war.

Cherokee Indians today who are familiar with their tribe's legends and
traditions pronounce the name of their ancient god the same way today as
it was written down by Adair over two hundred years ago.