[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jul 27 08:58:22 EDT 2005

On 27/07/2005 14:22, Shai Heijmans wrote:

>Peter,
>

>>Thank you, Shai. But are these from pointed texts, or
>>transcriptions in
>>languages which have vowels, or are the vowels reconstructed
>>by the editors?
>>

>The text of the talmud is on the whole unvocalised; the forms I
>mentioned appear as ryglwy, qwmwy, etc.
>The vowels were added by me (although on basis of the sporadically
>vocalised forms in the Geniza manuscripts); of course, I should have
>mentioned that. Sorry.

Thank you. But I accept that the final -WY strongly suggests -oy or
possibly -uy.

>>I continue to hold that Greek -WI is highly unlikely to represent a
>>final diphthong -oy, but much more probably two separate
>>syllables -o-i
>>or perhaps o-ay.
>>

>A triphthong oay! I didn't think of that. This is very interesting.

Well, not strictly a triphthong, but two separate syllables, separated
by he in the Hebrew (or Aramaic) original. I note that Greek WI
(omega-iota), unlike OI, cannot be a diphthong, but should be pronounced
as two separate syllables.

>But if you take ELWI as hebrew, how do you expalin "shebaqtani"?

I agree that this is Aramaic. That does not necessarily imply that the
whole utterance is.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/