[b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 08:56:45 EDT 2005

Hi Yitzak,

Will you count the 3. m. s. pronominal suffixes as final he maters?
There are many of them that are pronounced /o/: (line 6) vayyahlephoh,
benoh, (7) boh, ubetoh, (8) moh, beyamoh, etc.

I admit, when we pronounce such final he's as /o/, we may be using
anachronistic pronunciation rules.  IOW, they may have been consonants
as, I think, Joel Hoffman mentioned as a general possibility for
epigraphic Hebrew ("Moabite").

Shalom,
Bryan