[b-hebrew] VERBS

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jul 27 08:53:31 EDT 2005

On 27/07/2005 13:04, Ken Penner wrote:

>>>3) Verbs where the characteristic cannot be blotted out by
>>>

>>the context.
>>

>>However, I remain sceptical that there are any verbs or other
>>words in
>>group 3, in any language.
>>

>It seems to me that Rolf's example "sing" always has the characteristic of
>dynamicity. It is not a state.
>Similarly, "sing" and "continue" always have durativity. They can never be
>instantaneous.
>And "create" has telicity. There is an inherent end to the activity.
>It seems to me that these "lexical aspects" are uncancellable.

"All singing, all dancing" as a description of a product (e.g.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=13356)?

"'Is that true?" he asked. 'No', he continued"? (OK, it takes a finite
time to utter even the short word "No", but very few of even the most
punctiliar verbs are actually strictly instantaneous.)

"She is always creating a fuss"?

Such colloquial usages often bend these kinds of Aktionsart rules.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/