[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:29:23 EDT 2005

Dear Rolf,

You wrote earlier, "Even if the first vowel is an "a" sound, that does not
necessarily argue in favor of a patah as the first vowel of YHWH,  For example,
the names Gedalyahu and Gemaryahu both has the sign representing GA as
their first syllable, and these names have no theophoric elements at the
beginning."  I interpret this to mean, "Even if the first vowel [of
the Babylonian
transcription of initial theophoric element Yahwistic names] is an 'a' sound,
[and we assume that Yahwistic names use a pronounciation close to the
pronounciation of yhwh], that does not necessarily argue in favor of a patah as
the first vowel of yhwh, [because] the names Gedalyahu and Gemaryahu both
[have] the sign representing GA as their first syllable, [and yet their MT
pronounciation has a schwa] and these names have no theophoric elements
at the beginning [that might otherwise cause the Massoretes to change the
pronounciation for fear of profaning the sacred.]"  That's quite a lot of
brackets, and otherwise I can't figure out the paragraph.  Is this a proper
restatement of what you meant?

Yitzhak Sapir