[b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 8 20:22:03 EDT 2005

On 08/07/2005 21:21, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>I just noticed something. While checking up some other settings on my browser, I noticed that I had set the language encoding to “Hebrew (windows)”. When I set the language encoding to UTF-8, Hebrew written in Windows-1255 encoding is displayed
>
>????
>
>instead of
>
>אבגד

No Hebrew letters in this message. The first line is question marks, the
second codes starting with "&".

But then this is what I would expect, because the encoding of your
message in Western (Windows-1252). You can send Hebrew characters in
plain text e-mail only if the character encoding supports Hebrew, i.e.
is one of the specific Hebrew encodings like Windows-1255 or else UTF-8.

>Now does the second line still show אבגד or does it show Hebrew letters?
>
>Hebrew encoded as character entities Camino rendered as Hebrew letters, both when encoded as Hebrew (windows) and as UTF-8.
>
>An example of character entities follows:
>
>אבגד
>
>How does that render in your browser or mail program?

I still see explicit character entities, i.e. codes starting with "&",
in my mail program which is displaying a plain text e-mail.

>What I noticed is that when you encoded Hebrew as character entities, somewhere between your screen and the B-Hebrew archives, the coding was changed from character entities to string encoding. I don’t know where the change came from, but it is clearly recognizable when looking at the page source. What you wrote as Windows-1255 encoding is stored on the B-Hebrew archives as character entities. What are your settings?

I never sent character entities, except when I was quoting what you sent
to me; I sent Hebrew characters in Windows-1255 and/or UTF-8. It is
possible that the archiving program has internally converted them to
character entities (which you would see when looking at the page source)
when it incorporated the plain text e-mail into an HTML page. But in
that case your browser should display Hebrew characters. But I don't
think the archiving program has done anything wrong.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/