[b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:29:08 EST 2005

The below disqualification of Golb isn't very strong. The book "misses
sectarianism". Is that an argument why the book is no good? Golb has
objections against the unfounded idea that the fortress at Qumran was
not a fortress but a "monastery". That is the very thing he is
convinced of. Of course he doesn't pay the same amount of attention to
a supposed "sect" as some other scholars do, because he doesn't
believe all those scrolls were written by a "sect"! He shows, for
example, that Phariseic thinking too is represented among the scrolls.
Which doesn't fit the traditionally supposed Qumran "sect".
Herman