[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Dec 12 18:45:53 EST 2005

Herman:

It is a good thing that at times we can agree to disagree,
as there is not enough known, and the disagreement may
eventually point to a resolution.

As for Proverbs 1:19, I had read it as a compound verb,
and when I asked others, they had independently of me
come to the same conclusion. But even if you are right,
it is still improperly pointed, as the second BC( should
not be pointed in the pausal vocalization, as context,
grammar, poetic construct, meaning and sentence
structure together indicate that it is the subject of the
second half of the verse, not the end of the first.

I don't think my distinction is actually between written and
spoken language, rather between the written consonants,
and the written vowels. Whereas I recognize the written
consonants as authoritative, the written vowels I relegate
to the level of ancient commentary on the text: a product of
tradition and for the most part an accurate explanation of
meaning, but occasionally wrong.

And as one who has memorized whole chapters of
Tanakh, I agree with the Chinese.  ;-)

Karl W. Randolph.