[b-hebrew] XSD

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:40:15 EDT 2005

On 8/24/05, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 24/08/2005 18:17, Karl Randolph wrote:

> >I have not noticed any compound lexemes in Biblical Hebrew.
> >Has anyone else in this forum found any such?
> >

> I am amazed, Karl. I have noticed several. For an immediate example,
> MILLE' YAD for "ordain".

My understanding is that compound lexemes are rare due to the nature
of Hebrew, but isn't the most obvious one (that comes to my mind at least)
"bly(l" of "bl(y)" and "y(l"?  Also, again, the word "xyhwh" appears
in epigraphic
inscription, a contraction of xy and yhwh.  Perhaps ending -y and beginning
y- words had a much better chance to become compound words.  Also,
some examples such as m(ynw-mym in Psalms 114:8.

Yitzhak Sapir