[b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim - A Bit More

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 11:11:28 EDT 2005

Yeah,
English Jack,Jacob,James
Italian Giacomo, Giacobbe
Latin ???
Hebrew Iacov

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Karl Randolph
Sent: Mon 8/8/2005 12:07 PM
To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim - A Bit More

This is a bit off topic, sort of.

My father used to have a personal friend whose name was
Jacob Preuss, and when he wrote letters to him, he
addressed them starting "Dear Jack". I always thought
"Jack" was short for "Jacob".

Similarly, the Greek "YHSOUS" may reflect a shortening
from "Yehoshu'a", four syllables to two. That's how the
New Testament renders Joshua.

Karl W. Randolph.