[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 09:30:26 EDT 2005

Peter wrote:
But YHWH's anger is often personified and used as an agent. This is of
course a metonymy for YHWH himself, when angry.
END QUOTE

Yes. You are quite right here.

Peter also wrote:
Wrong, James. The subject of a following verb, if not specified or ruled
out e.g. by gender, is implicitly the same as that of the preceding
verb. So, in this case, the grammatical subject of the second verb is
the anger of YHWH.
END QUOTE

I disagree here. While, you can be conclusive that the subject is different
if the gender is different, you cannot be equally conclusive just because the
gender is the same.
This is not the only case in scripture where the agent is ambiguous and it is
clear that the chronicler, whose hebrew was better than ours, did not understand
the agent to be Yah's anger but 'an adversary' or Satan himself.
Your interpretation of the verse does not make sense.

Yah got angry because David obeyed him?????

The chronicler, evidently, was not led to understand such a thing and so his
version of events clears the ambiguity by making the agent of the second clause
explicit.