[b-hebrew] 2 Sam 24 vs. 2 Chron 21 (was something else)

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Thu Aug 4 17:18:04 EDT 2005

Your sketch does make sense, Jim; it is historically plausible and
logically coherent. But I think we should at least ask the question
whether we can be sure that _satan_ in 1 Chronicles really _is_ being
used as a proper name, rather than as a common noun, which is the
conventional use of the term within the Tanakh. I have long _assumed_
the model you outline below, but have recently begun to question it,
along the lines that I outlined earlier. Obviously, somehow, the word
moved from being a common noun to a proper noun. The question is
where Chronicles stands in that process. Certainly by the time the
LXX Chronicles was translated, the passage had come to be read in
such a way that Hebrew _satan_ was rendered by Greek _diabolos_.
Anybody know what the Targums do here? I don't have easy access at
this moment.

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard