[b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?

Gene Gardner g_gardner1234 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 15:41:37 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 4 10:42:13 EDT 2005

wrote:

I am surprised at your translation here. What is
promised is SAFA
B:RURA, literally "a purified lip". While SAFA can
mean "language", this
use is relatively rare. It is surely more likely that
YHWH is promising
to purify the lips or mouths of his people, cf Isaiah
6:5-7, so that
they can worthily call on his name. But I don't see
any suggestion that
their language will be changed by this - except
perhaps by avoiding bad
words and blasphemy.

Here are a few of the translations that I looked at.
The one that you originally commented on was the JPS
1917 translation.

JPS 1917

9 For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language,
that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
serve Him with one consent.

KJV

Zephaniah 3

9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language,
that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
serve him with one consent.

JPS 1985

For then I will make the peoples pure of speech, So
that they all invoke the LORD by name And serve Him
with one accord.

NASB

For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD, to
serve Him shoulder to shoulder.

LITV

9 For then I will give a clear lip to the peoples, to
call all of them by the name of Jehovah, to serve Him
with one shoulder.

Thanks for your answer Peter.