[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 19:00:20 EDT 2005

     Yigal is abolutely right.

      I would however add: it is possible to consider YHWH a verb, without insisting on its correct pronounciation. The seemingly endless discussion here does not take into account that this name was pronounced differently in different periods. Also, the custom of not pronouncing the "explicit  name" may well have arisen late, for there are no reason to assume  such a custom from  pre-exilic  inscriptions or Mesha.

      Uri

Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

..... If by "Jews" you mean people speaking from Jewish
tradition, then Jewish tradition does not have a vocalization of the
Tetragrammaton, and cosiders it forbidden to pronounce. And I know of no
Jewish source that understands the Tetragrammaton as anything but a proper
noun.

That there are individual Jews, including perhaps some on this list, who
have concluded that YHWH is a verb and that it may have been vocalized in
one way or another, is their privelage. None of them speak for Jewish
tradition.

Yigal