[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 3 06:34:49 EDT 2005

On 03/08/2005 07:48, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Sure. Try finding anyone who cared to learn ancient Greek, and make him
>believe ihie could be transliterated as Iao.

Why should I attempt this, as I don't believe it myself. You are
attacking a straw man, as NO ONE except you in this discussion, except
yourself, has suggested a divine name anything like "ihie".

Later, you wrote:

>Greek and Latin forms of Iao is all that we got for ancient
>pronunciation of the name.

This is not true. We also have forms like IAOUE and IABE, as well as AIA
and others. All of these forms need to be interpreted. But they are all
basic evidence which need to be treated a priori on the same level.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/