[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 2 15:39:41 EDT 2005

On 02/08/2005 20:31, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>>>... True, Greeks generally omit he, but, as I wrote to Peter, that
>>>happens in the words that have other consonants. ...
>>>

>>Not only in such words. Remember King Jehu, who in Greek becomes EIOU,
>>IHOU or IOU.
>>

>But he is not omitted at all in these examples. It became iota or epsilon
>that is sometimes assimilated into o, making Iou.

No, EI is a unit representing the first vowel of Yehu, like the eta in IHOU.

>Iao, on the contrary, has nothing for the first he if alpha is for schwa. If
>alpha is for he, as I suggest, then the word is not the verb. In the verb
>ihie, Greeks would not hear he as alpha, but as epsilon if light or perhaps
>as chi if heavily guttural.

Greeks would hear he as a consonant, not a vowel, because it is a
consonant. But they had no way of representing it in their script, so
they omitted it. Or perhaps they simply heard nothing. But they didn't
hear it as a vowel, and never transcribed it as a vowel.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/