[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 2 13:26:36 EDT 2005

On 02/08/2005 17:46, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>>>Iod is pronounced as a vowel in 3ms FT, and there is no evidence
>>>whatsoever that it ever was pronounced as consonant, at least as 3ms FT
>>>prefix.
>>>If you are inclined to dwell into this issue, it is my belief that iod in
>>>3ms FT is mater lections derived from he in 3ms nouns. A similar process
>>>made iod 2fs FT suffix where we could expect he.
>>>

>>No Hebrew word, that is ZERO!, starts with a mater lectionis.
>>

>That is an assumption, not  a fact.
>Definite article, aleph in Aramaic, may be a contrary example.

It is not a counter example, because the he in the definite article is
clearly pronounced. If you don't accept this, then provide me with a
proper counter example.

>>A suffix is a suffix and cannot be separated off as part of a word. If
>>the final -iy suffix were to be written separately, it would need to be
>>prefixed with alef, as in the word 'iy = "island, coastland".
>>

>I don't see the point.

The point is simply that Hebrew words NEVER begin with vowels.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/