[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 09:18:49 EDT 2005

The rules for hebrew syllable structure, to the best of my knowledge, are quite
set in stone. We have

CV
CVC

but I have never seen

VVV

Do you have any other example of it?
Plus do you think you could go through the Egyptian/Clementine evidence again but
this time much slower and give links to the passages so that readers can verify your
proofs? It would make reading and accepting your arguments much easier.

The IW (iota-omega) prefix we see in the LXX is quite clearly a transliteration of
the shortened divine name YHW with pronuniciation Y:HoW. The schewa was a near non
existant sound for the Greeks and I know that from experience, while teaching English
to the Italians for three years, when I asked them to transliterate what they heard me
say they always ommitted the schewa because they heard nothing, having a language with
only pure vowels.Thus the Greeks transliterated IW because they heard the yodh and that
sounded similar to an iota, they did not hear the schewa and thus did not attempt to
transliterate it, they heard the 'oW' which just sounded to them like a long vowel with
no consanant (their language had no 'w' sound, like Spanish, Italian and Russian of today).
While, I cannot conclusively prove my above assertions, they seem to be in great agreement
with the pointing of the Masoretes.
How do you account for the Masoretic pointing.

Another thing you should maybe take on board is that nobody said no to pronounce a verb,
they only abolished the use of the verb as a name. It's more modern etymological child verb
HYH is among the most common verbs of the bible.